About 3 months ago, we put out episode 1 of Devious on our YouTube channel and the response has been great. We spent a lot of time on the effects, grading and sound but did not consider subtitles on Youtube, when it was first released.
For those of you that do not put anything on YouTube, if you don’t add your own subtitles then YouTube generates them automatically. These are made completely by computer so sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong and sound times they are just plain silly.
To correct the subtitles you either make your own and upload them, or use the YouTube application to correct the auto-generated titles. We chose to make our own titles and upload them. We used a program called DaVinci Resolve, which is an editing and grading application. This lets you add a special track on which you type subtitles as you watch the video, then export them as a file and upload to YouTube.
We actually started by downloading the YouTube versions in the hope that they were right some of the time, although in the long run there was a lot to change and we are not sure whether it would not have been quicker just to start from scratch.
The auto generated titles had trouble with many of the names of characters, particularly Covellitor, who managed to have several different variations through the one scene he was in, being “cover letter” and “cavil etre” in just one sentence, although curiously it managed to spell Tardis and Gallifrey correctly when they were mentioned.
Now episode 1 has proper subtitles and so those of you who are hard of hearing can see the words we were actually saying rather than YouTube guess work. We’ll try and upload proper subtitles with Episode 2 when it is released.
Here are some great examples of what computer thinks we were actually saying: